Thursday, June 21, 2012

NICU update

Good evening to all. I finally made it over to the NICU to see the boys last night. This was my first time seeing Brady so I was very exited. I was able to see him at delivery for a second, but then he was whisked away to be intubated. I was able to spend about 5 minutes with Patrick while he waited to be transported from Springs. His hands were so little, he could just hold the tip of my pinky. He did wave a few times for me.  So we went Broward last night to see how they were doing. The newest update is this;

Brady (A)
Brady was on a ventilator still. They said he is breathing a little on his own, so he is not being lazy and letting the machine do it for him, which is good. He did receive a few transfusions, about three I believe. He had been quiet and resting comfortably while he was there. He is receiving antibiotics. He did lose a little weight,  he is 1 lb and 7 oz now. They said it was probably water weight, not to be concerned. He does have a large amount of bruising on his head and body still,, so they still have him under the lights. He was very bruised up from the delivery process. We had to wait about an hour for the doctor to get there, so between me being pushed all around, and him not being in fluids from the water breaking, he took a beating. Then they had to poke and move him so much that the nurses caused some to.  The first pictures of him look like he has a full head of hair but it is actually just all bruises. Hopefully that will be improving in the next few days. He has urinated multiple times on his nurse, haha. When I said goodbye to him last night, he reached both hands in the air and started to move around a lot. He was starting to scratch at his face where his tube was, and I already had to mommy voice him, and tell him to leave it in. Perhaps an e-collar is needed....

Patrick (B)
Patrick was receiving a transfusion while we were there. She said he gets 8 mls. I laughed, and said geez, we give a cat like 20 mls. That is how little he is. He is on a different kind of ventilator. It is called an oscillating vent.  The best was to describe what it looks like is this. Do you remember the exercise machine that women would stand in, and it would shake their butt? That is what it reminds me of. It basically shakes his chest to help him breath. The regular vent only goes up to 60 breaths per minute, but this one goes faster. It shakes his lungs to get them to take more breaths. She said that it is common to go on this machine, sometimes they need it for a day, sometimes more.  She said he was doing well on this. He was started at 40% oxygen I think, and he was down to 25%. Room air is 20, so we were happy with that. He did have sedation on board because it annoys them, and they don't like to be shaken. He also lost a little weight, he is now 1 lb 1 oz.  He was on a insulin drip. His glucose was a little high.  I let the nurse know to prepare herself now.  He is going to give her a run for her money if he starts to improve, haha. 

We will head over today and get some new info.  We made it through the night without any phone calls, so I am pleased!

No comments:

Post a Comment