Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Who even reads this blog anymore?

I guess a lot of people still, because my hubby told me that he's getting hate mail because I'm not writing! Trust me, I have wanted to write a lot, but I literally never stop. When I actually do stop, I fall asleep on the couch! It's been a long time since I wrote, and I've taken a million pictures since then. The last time I wrote was about Patrick's surgery. Long story short, he is doing very well, knock on wood. I will definitely follow up with some more stories from the last few months, so you might have to back track. I'm going to make this post about the March of Dimes walk, because that was the last big thing I blogged about.

The March of Dimes walk, the march for babies, was about educating moms about the importance of staying healthy.  It also raises money for research to prevent early delivery and treating premature babies.  When I was pregnant, I took very good care of myself. Even though I knew the importance of staying healthy, I still had issues, which can happen.  We decided to start a team, walk with the boys, and try to raise money. We ended up raising over 2,000. I can't even believe that we did that well. I figured we would raise a few hundred, but we had lots of friends and family that donated. We even won an award! I have no idea what it is, but we were invited to a dinner for it, haha. 

We started the walk at 8 am. It was hoooot outside! Thankfully, we had bought big visors for the strollers and fans, so the boys stayed nice and cool.   We had about 20 people are on our team. Our team name was "Little Shamrocks" . I figure it was fitting because they had the luck of the Irish.   We started off in the Family tent, where we met our team members, and listened to music from some local singers on stage.  The boys had no idea what was happening, but they were in a good mood, and that's all that mattered.

  They then announced that it was time to walk! I slathered them up with sunscreen, put on their visors, and away we went!
There were a bunch of photographers taking pics, so we have a few of us going under the banner, but I have to upload them still.

We walked 3 miles around the Nova Southeastern campus. It was a bit of an emotional walk, because halfway through, they had what was called an area donated to angels. There were poster boards with the names of babies that had passed on. It was very sad. They also had an angel baby ceremony  on the main stage while people were walking. I did not stay to see it, because I would have been a wreck. I saw lots of parents holding the signs later on, and I just wanted to hug them, but at the same time not get arrested for being a weirdie. Moving on, I'm getting teary...

Everyone on our team had a March of Dimes family T-shirt, and our team name was on the back. They were a bit heavy, note to self for next year...tanks.

 We were told by one of the nurses before the walk, that if we raised $200.00, they would take a picture of the boys, and put it on the walking path. They have what is called an "Ambassador Avenue."  It's pictures of all the success stories that left the NICU. I was so excited. We sent in the info on the boys with their pictures. I had no idea what to expect.
                                              I hope we see them soon!
                                                                                       There they are!!!
Yea! We found them! They were so big!! The best was, we get to keep them!  We took some team pics, and picked them up to finish our walk!
                                                                                 Craig, and I with our little boys!
                                                                                         The "triplets"
                                                                                        Mia and Mason
                                                                                    Team Lil Shamrocks!

We kept on walking with our posters in hand. I knew we were getting closer when I heard yelling and noisemakers. We hit the end of the walk and were handed little stickers that said "I Did It!" We crossed the line and cheered!  We headed back to the family tent for all of the festivities! The first thing we did was took a pic of us in front of our banner.
                                                                                        Brady and I near the banner
                                                                                           Top 10 baby!!
                                                                                       Looking good Patrick!

 We took a few pics of the boys with our team mates. The boys won a prize for cheering the loudest when the prize patrol came by. They won a gift certificate, and beads, which Patrick loves!
                                                                                     Brady in his Lil Shamrocks gear
                                                                                          Patrick rocking the Shamrocks!
                                                                                         Team Shamrockers Jeffrey, Claire and Eddy
                                                                                     Gabby, Christina,  and the boys after their prize patrol win!

We all gathered up with some food and had some lunch. They had Chick-Fil-A, McDonalds, and Panera Bread. Dunkin Doughnuts even showed up. They had local tv stations handing out fun stuff, and games everywhere. They also had Elmo, the Nesquick Bunny, and pirates! The boys did very well with all of them!
                                                                                Brady likes Elmo, he even pet his fur, hahaha
                                                                                  Patrick didn't mind him either, he just kept an eye on him!
                                                                                       Elmo and Patrick

                                                                                          Say "Chocolate Milk!"
                                                                                            Arghhh!!! Taking pics with the pirates!

Broward General had their own tent set up there, so a lot of the nurses that took care of the boys were there. We met up with them to take some pictures, and took one giant pic for the boys of all of us.
                                                                                Paula and Patrick, one of his primary nurses.  She cried when she saw him. He missed her!
                                                                   Lil Shamrocks and the Broward NICU nurses!!

It was a fun day, and we definitely do it again next year!

Love to all!
Next blog....1st Birthday!!!!!  Stay tuned!
Emily, Craig, Brady and Patrick










No comments:

Post a Comment